“Maskne” or mask acne is one new skin condition we might not have expected from the pandemic, but it’s here. Rather than hiding the acne and the scars that come from constantly wearing masks, we detail some clear skin tips to make your skin glow again and help you look your best when mask-less and in your social bubble.
What is Maskne?
Maskne refers to acne breakouts linked to the wearing of face masks. Whether it’s sweat, oil, dirt, and bacteria all can be trapped between your mask and your skin, combined with the irritation of the face covering rubbing against your skin, this creates the perfect breeding ground for acne.
This combination of factors is so potent that you can suffer from Maskne even if you have no hereditary or hormonal inclination to get acne.
Handling Maskne With a Medical Spa
Since we all have to wear masks, simply going without a face covering isn’t an option during the pandemic. Thankfully, there are many procedures found at medical spas that can help fight back against Maskne.
- BBL Skin Rejuvenation is one option for reducing acne. This technique applies BroadBand Light (BBL) to the skin. The light’s heat reduces discolorations on the skin, breaking them up while regenerating the cells in that area.
- After three to four treatments, you should have clear skin that lasts. BBL is also great for treating any Maskne Rosacea flare-ups – the condition where blood vessels burst under the skin and create a permanent red “flush.” Application of BBL lasers can severely reduce Rosacea.
- Another tremendous medical spa treatment is the chemical peel. What does a chemical peel do? Essentially, a chemical peel is an exfoliation – just using chemical agents to remove the outer layer of skin.
- The exact kind of chemical used can create a shallow, medium, or deep peel as desired. Not only will a chemical peel remove the acne on the surface of the skin, but it can also hasten the recovery of acne scars.
- Sometimes it’s the scarring that’s the main issue, not the Maskne. We always get many requests for acne scar removal in Richmond Hill – it was a common concern even before the rise of Maskne.
- As mentioned, you can try a chemical peel or BBL to target acne scars, but there are also dermal fillers. These not only remove blemishes but can fill in the pits caused by past acne.
Fighting Maskne With Supplements
Of course, the best way to deal with Maskne is to prevent it before it ever happens. There are a few great methods for cutting back on the severity of Maskne. One of the best is through the proper supplements.
For example, Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help reduce dry and itchy skin, which will leave your skin less vulnerable to the inflammation that causes Maskne.
Probiotics also show to reducing harmful acne-causing bacteria. Certain Vitamins, like Vitamin A and Vitamin C, are also helpful for combating inflamed and dry skin.
Apart from supplements, it’s essential to know that poor health and stress can cause acne and Rosacea breakouts. It’s critical to make sure you get plenty of rest and water and try your best to find ways to reduce stress during the pandemic.
Learn More About Skin Care
If you have any more questions about how to manage skincare best, feel free to contact us. We’re happy to help with any questions you might have!