Skin lesions come in all shapes and sizes, with all kinds of causes. What all skin lesions have in common is that they are unsightly and can often leave a person feeling embarrassed or unhappy with their overall appearance.
Plastic Surgery Skin Clinic offers a variety of treatment options for a variety of skin lesions even if there is no medical necessity for removal. Generally, we see that people still find themselves asking: is there a skincare clinic near me? Or looking for treatments that are not invasive for relief and management. Removing skin lesions can increase comfort, confidence, and quality of life.
What Is a Skin Lesion?
If someone tells you that you have a “lesion”, it can sound like something serious at first. For many, it immediately brings to mind things like cancerous lesions or other harbingers of some sort of serious condition. This is not generally the case, and you should always speak to your doctor if you are concerned.
Medically speaking, a skin lesion is simply any kind of “abnormal lump, bump, ulcer, sore or discolored area of the skin.” As you can imagine, this covers a wide range of different skin conditions, with a wider array of causes.
Not all skin lesions can be treated in a cosmetic manner. Many of them will require a referral from a family physician to do so.
On the flip side, not every discoloration that you might want to be removed is a skin lesion! Some discolorations happen naturally over the course of your life due to aging.
Some of the most common skin lesions include the following:
- Acne: This is one of the most common kinds of skin lesions. There are many different kinds of acne. However, all acne is caused by the pores in your skin getting clogged with dead skin cells and excess oils. At PSSC, Acne is one of the most common kinds of skin discolorations that we treat.
- Actinic Keratosis: This kind of skin lesion appears as a rough, scaly bump on the skin. It is caused by sun damage to the skin. Actinic Keratosis is particularly concerning since the damaged cells can potentially turn cancerous.
- Atypical Moles: Atypical moles are large moles with an irregular edge to them and often have multiple colors. These kinds of moles are often a warning sign of melanoma, a type of skin cancer.
- Common Moles: Most people have at least some common moles, which are caused by regular levels of sun exposure.
- Congenital Moles: Congenital moles look very similar to common moles but are ones that you are simply born with, and can appear anywhere on the body.
Laser Resurfacing Treatments at Plastic Surgery Skin Clinic
It’s important to understand that even if a lesion has been dealt with, it can leave lingering problems behind. For example, even if the excess oils that cause acne have been treated, acne can still leave scars. If a lesion isn’t a direct medical threat, it can still feel embarrassing, worrying, or uncomfortable in your daily routine.
For some skin lesions, the only option is surgery to remove them. However, for many skin lesions, laser resurfacing treatment is an option. At PSSC, our laser treatments can be customized for your specific skincare concerns.
If you are looking for a skincare clinic near you in Newmarket to deal with skin lesions, you’re in luck. PSSC’s Dr. Victoria Hayward specializes in anti-aging treatments and skin health. If you have any concerns with skin lesions, make sure to book a consultation at our plastic surgery and skincare clinic.