Radio frequency skin tightening has gone DIY. For a few hundred bucks a pop, you can own an at-home radio frequency device that looks more like a sleek computer mouse or a barber’s razor. But is an at-home setup the way to go? Although you might opt for skin tightening in your living room, there are reasons why in-clinic RF treatments are better.
Do at-home radio frequency devices work?
Technically, the short answer is “yes” but we recommend against the use of at-home RF devices. Radio frequency skin tightening is approved by Health Canada and considered low-risk, but only on the basis that it’s performed by a skilled practitioner. In other words, an RF device is only as safe as the person using it.
That’s why the best person to use a radio frequency device for skin tightening is a licensed medical aesthetician. Patients simply lack the technique and suitable devices to perform the treatment effectively and safely. While you can buy an RF device for personal use, you can seriously hurt yourself if you don’t know how to use it properly.
Disadvantages of at-home RF treatments
- Less safety standard testing — At-home RF devices aren’t approved by regulatory bodies and are essentially “wellness” products with little or no testing to back their safety. RF devices used in clinical settings are approved by Health Canada due to their extensive safety and performance testing.
- Lack of medical supervision — Dosage and coverage matter, and patients using at-home devices have to consult online guides, which may be shoddy. This leads to room for error and can lead to burns and ineffective treatment. Coming to a clinic almost eliminates mistakes, because practitioners are trained on proper dosing, coverage and machine operation. Unfortunately, we have seen many patients who visit us to correct at-home RF treatments that were adminstered without proper medical supervision.
- Lower potency — At-home devices produce lower temperatures and wavelengths than in-clinic devices. Although they can bring some improvements, lower potency means less noticeable results. Also, at-home devices are less customizable, preventing users from being able to control the settings for precision and safety.
- Fewer breaks in-between treatments — Due to lower potency, users of at-home devices have to perform more sessions on themselves. This can be problematic, because too many treatments increase the risk of burns, scarring and fibrosis. In-clinic devices are more powerful, requiring you to take the treatment only once every 1-2 weeks. Naturally, that means your skin gets more time to heal.
It should be noted that high potency devices are better. It’s true that more heat can burn skin faster than a “cooler” device, but in-clinic devices can direct their heat towards lower levels of skin. At a lower depth, the risk of burns is essentially zero because these layers are less sensitive to heat.
Also, there is more collagen and elastin to stimulate at a lower depth (dermis), which means better and faster results. At-home devices typically heat the epidermis and upper levels of skin, which are less responsive to treatment and more susceptible to burns.
In-Clinic RF Treatments Win. Everytime.
Radio frequency skin tightening in a clinic (don’t think need to say this as they are on the PSSC site), gives you access to the safest and most effective devices, in a supervised environment.
Licensed, top-rate aestheticians know how to skillfully handle RF devices, ensuring you’re comfortable throughout the session. They use customizable devices, which they can adjust to suit your skin type, comfort level and treatment goals.
They can even target specific depths of skin layers and device temperature, so that you get maximum collagen and elastin stimulation without discomfort. More importantly, they know how to manage post-care treatment to minimize the potential for unpleasant (but usually minor) side effects.
What does that mean for you?
- No burns, blisters or unwanted side effects.
- No need to undergo more treatments than what your skin can handle.
- Tight and firm skin in far less time than if you do it at home.
At-home RF treatments simply can’t compare to what you get in a clinic!
Tightening Your Skin is Our Business
At-home radio frequency skin tightening offers convenience initially, but those longer and more frequent sessions can become a burden in the long run. They can also increase your risk of unpleasant side effects with fewer results to show for it.
Radio frequency treatment at a clinic provides the best results possible in less time and with minimal discomfort. You’ll have confidence knowing your skin tightening is happening safely, under the hands of well-trained professionals.
Don’t waste another minute debating where to have your treatment! Book your complimentary consultation and speak to a registered aesthetician to discuss your treatment options. After just a few sessions, you’ll start hearing compliments about how flawless your skin looks. You’ll love what you see!